Welcome to a new recipe for Protein Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches! These cookie dough sandwiches are vegan and gluten-free but yours can be whatever you want them to be (more on this below). Let me just tell you about the tool I used to make these ice cream sandwiches before we go into the recipe itself:
The tool I used is this one here (if you’re in the US, it’s this one here). I saw it the other day and had to have it! So I bought it. Now, it’s true that you can make ice cream sandwiches without any complicated gizmos. You can make ice cream sandwiches, for example, by squashing your cookie sandwich base on a baking tray, adding ice cream in the middle, freezing that (so the ice cream hardens), and then adding your cookie dough top before freezing the whole thing again and then slicing into squares (or whatever shape you want).
lazy busy to do that though and don’t really want to end up with dozens and dozens of ice cream sandwiches when, really, all I want is one. That’s why this gadget winked at me! And why I added it to my cart as soon as I saw it.
It’s so easy to use!!!! That’s the best part. Okay, play. Let me tell you exactly what I did to end up with these ice cream sandwiches:
2 x bars of Protein Pow cookie dough (see Note below for subs)
2 balls of ice cream of choice (I went for a vegan coconut-based vanilla ice cream here)
- Flatten your cookie dough bar into the cookie bar mold, press it down with the thingy that comes in the ice cream maker (see Picture below).
- Remove the dough from the mold and do the same thing again so you have two perfectly flat cookie dough pieces (one for the top and another for the bottom of your ice cream sandwich).
- Add one piece of flat cookie dough to the bottom of the mold.
- Add the ice cream on top of that and flatten it down with the flattening tool.
- Add the other cookie dough flat piece on top and flatten that too.
- When ready to eat, unmold it and… PRESTO! You just made a perfect cookie sandwich, hats off to you!
- Easy, hey?
If you’re wondering, “Anna, I don’t have any of your cookie dough bars to make this at home!” Well, there are two ways to solve this issue:
1. Buy some! You can get it online from us here and we’ll delivered it to your door! If you’re in the UK and prefer to stop in an actual shop though, head over to your local Sainsbury’s, Whole Foods, Planet Organic, Langdons or any of our other stockists (here is a handy map of most of them). If you’re in the US, Canada, or beyond you can get a bar – or a whole box! – of cookie dough from the Protein Pick and Mix website, here. Woooooopa wooooop!
2. If you just cannot get your hands on our cookie dough, use a sub. True, you won’t end up with a cookie dough sandwich as awesome and low-sugar as these ones but you’ll come pretty close! Use any of my DIY protein bar batters to make these in place of the cookie dough. These DIY protein bars, for example, yield a fabulous dough that you can use in place of the cookie dough. Again though, if you want an easy solution: get our dough! Get a bar, get a box, get three! And try it with all our different flavours. I guarantee you’ll go gaaaaaga.
Have fun with this though! And if you get the tool, let me know so we can celebrate! I’ll be using it again and next time make a recipe for cake ice cream sandwiches. So I’ll post a protein cake recipe for you and we’ll stuff it with ice cream together, sounds good?