This recipe was published last week on my bodybuilding.com column and it’s phenomenal, waaaaaa…. I promise you, they taste like the real deal! And they’re really quick and silly-easy to make. Check it out (and click here to print it out):
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup granulated erythritol (or granulated low-calorie sweetener of choice)
7/8 cup grated coconut (aka desiccated coconut)
1. Using an electric whisker or standing blender, beat your egg whites to soft peaks (as if you were making meringue).
2. Once your egg whites are fluffy, add in the rest of the ingredients. Use a spatula to fold them in gently until everything is well combined.
3. Divide the mix into four “blobs” and place on a nonstick cookie tray. Bake at 320 F (160 C) for no more than 12-15 minutes. I suggest you check on your macaroons after 10 minutes and remove them as soon as they start to brown on top. If they overbake, they end up very dry.
4. If you want to add an additional layer of decadence to your macaroon, melt a couple of squares—roughly 20 grams—of dark chocolate. Once it’s melted, drizzle it on top of the macaroons. Prefer your chocolate on the bottom? Dunk your macaroons in the melted mixture to give them a “chocolate skirt.”
5. Place the macaroons in the fridge to cool for a couple of hours before eating.
Macros per macaroon (out of the 4 you get from the recipe above): 140kcals, 7.2g protein, 1.7g carbs and 11.5g fat (mostly from the coconut!)