W: “Hey babe, would you like some pancakes?”
M: “Sure! What kind?”
W: “I’m thinking Banana… Maple & Banana.”
M: “Protein Pancakes, yeah?”
M: “Well then, of course! Thanks!”
[Ten Minutes later]
W: “Here they are.”
– The End –
1/2 cup unflavored or vanilla whey (please see my Note below for a discussion of vanilla whey in the land of protein powders)
1/2 cup Total Greek Yogurt – I used 2%
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup oats (GF or regular)
1 tbsp Natural Maple Extract (this if you’re in the US and this if you’re in the UK)
2. Pour your pancake batter on the nonstick pan. I like to make small pancakes because they’re a lot easier to flip (and you can stack them really high!) but it’s up to you what size you choose to run with.
3. As soon as you pour your batter onto the HOT pan, turn it down to medium. The reason you do this is so that the coconut oil, PAM, or low-cal spray can ‘toast’ the sides of the pancakes when they land on the pan without burning them or overcooking them. This is the secret to getting that golden ring around your pancakes!
5. Do this again 3 times until you’ve gone through all your battah.
6. Plate the beasts, add maple syrup, honey or Sweet Freedom on top + sliced bananas and/or strawberries, some bacon, ham, nut butter, coconut oil… basically, whatever your tastebuds demand and your macros allow for.
7. C’est tout. Es todo. That’s it. Ετοιμα είναι. Ready to be devoured whole – or shared, if you’re that kind of person and are in that kind of spirit.
Macros per 1/2 a batch of pancakes: 283kcals, 34g protein, 29g carbs and 4g fat!
For my take on vanilla whey protein powder, read the note below:
There are four varieties of vanilla whey protein powder out there: 1. the nasty, 2. the tasteless, 3. the OK, and 4. the sublime. The vast majority of powders, in my humblest of opinions, falls within the first and second category. Few are those that sit in the third and fewer still those that can be said to belong to the fourth. It’s a sad state of affairs if you think about it… BUT! We don’t HAVE to be Victims to the Tub (you know, we don’t have to buy a tub of powder, hate it, and be forced to ‘grin and bear it’ until the tub of powder is finished). All we have to do is learn to select our powders. Now, I, Anna Sward, have tried dozens if not hundreds of vanilla wheys. You name the brand, I’ve probably had it! So I feel that I’m in a pretty good position to advice you guys on what actually tastes like proper vanilla instead of an artificial talcum of sadface. My favorite are as follows: 1. If you’re after an American whey, I think Cellucor’s Whipped Vanilla is goawgheous! So is Gaspari’s Vanilla Myofusion and IsoFusion (which I think was their Intrapro?) 2. If you’re in the UK, my vanilla pow of choice tends to be either Kinetica’s Vanilla Whey (or their Bannoffee!) or MyProtein’s True Whey Vanilla. I have tasted a couple of nasty ones but I find that most UK vanilla wheys tend to fall in the second category: the category of tastelessness. You can also find Cellucor’s Whipped Vanilla at Amazon UK, if you want to give it a go – it’s really good. At the end of the day though, if no vanilla wheys are able to tick your boxes, remember that you can make your own: just buy a tub of unflavored whey (ideally concentrate because it tastes a bit creamier) and mix it with vanilla powder (or fresh vanilla pods!) + your sweetener of choice. Whatever you do, just remember to not give in to nasty vanillas. Because vanilla Heaven IS out there, I promise. It’s just waiting for you to find it.