Lemon Poppyseed Protein Cubes with Hazelnut & Cinnamon
Originally, I intended to build a tower out of the protein cakes but, walking home from the gym today, I decided it was high time to use some of the hazelnut butter that I made last week ;-) I settled on cubes as soon as I got back from the gym and saw the cakes: they were perfectly rectangular and just screaming to be ‘cubed.’
1/2 cup ricotta (can sub with cottage cheese)
2/3 cup quark (can also sub this with cottage cheese?)
2 tablespoons apple fiber (can sub with coconut flour or oat flour?)
2 tablespoons vanilla brown rice protein power
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/4 cup vanilla whey
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon lemon rind
1.5 tablespoons hazelnut butter
1. Blend ingredients except for hazelnut butter and cinnamon together and bake for about 20 minutes at 180 C (356 F) into rectangular mini loaves
2. Cut each rectangle in half
3. Place on half on top of the other and then spread some hazelnut butter in between.
4. Then, sprinkle some cinnamon on a plate and some hazelnut butter on another plate.
5. Roll each cube on the hazelnut butter first and then on top of the cinnamon.
Macros per Serving (out of 6):
5g carbos (1g sugars/1.7g fiber)
5g fat (1.5g sat)
All in all, I used 1.5 tbsp of hazelnut butter so not much at all is needed – just enough to make the cinnamon ‘stick’ (and the nut butter hit you with hazelnut nommmmness ;-))