Crunchy Peanut Butter Protein Cups
Welcome to the world’s easiest recipe for Peanut Butter Protein Cups.
It features only three ingredients, well… four but the fourth is water so it doesn’t really count, you know?
It’s a super easy and quick-to-make recipe too. It took me literally five minutes to assemble these cups! And man… they were tasty. Check this out:
1/4 cup plain or vanilla whey protein powder
4 tbsp crunchy (or smooth) peanut butter
2-5 tbsp of water (or milk if you want to make them creamier inside)
1/2 bar of dark chocolate (I used 85%)
1. First, melt your chocolate in a bain marie (a glass pot on top of a bowl of boiling water).
2. Mix the rest of your ingredients together in bowl. It’s important that you choose a REALLY nice tasting whey, one that ideally doesn’t taste of… foot. I offer a few recommendations in Note 1 below. If your mix is WAY too sticky, add a bit more protein powder. If it’s too crumbly, add a bit more water. It’s always best to start with a small amount of liquid though so start by mixing the PB with the whey + 1 tbsp of water and then adapt your liquids until you get a nice cookie-dough-like texture.
3. Get our 5 silicone muffin cases. I use silicone because they make the cups ridiculously easy to unmold (see the pic to the left here). If you want, you can use paper too though.
4. Once your chocolate has melted, pour half of it on the sides of the muffin cases, moving them around so you get not only the bottom of them coated, but also the sides.
5. Add a tiny bit of of your protein mix on top of the melted chocolate and then cover with the rest of the chocolate (so that the filling has chocolate under, on the sides, and on top).
6. Leave them to set in the freezer for 10 minutes or the fridge for an hour.
Macros per cup (out of five): 146kcals, 9g protein, 5g carbs (out of which 2.5g is fiber!) and 11g fat (mostly from the PB).
1. As I wrote in my Gluten-Free Protein Pancakes post, vanilla whey protein powder can be a bit tricky because there are far too many brands who sell really artificial-tasting (and a bit, well… gross!) vanilla-flavored whey protein powder. I’m not going to name and shame here but… oy, is it hard to find a REALLY good vanilla whey! Over the years though, I’ve tried over a hundred different brands of vanilla whey. Seriously – hundreds. And to be honest the BEST vanilla whey is the one you make yourself! By just combining plain creamy whey protein (like ours!) with vanilla pods or vanilla paste and a couple of stevia drops or coconut sugar or your sweetener of choice!