October already! My birthday month! Anyone else’s?
I decided to celebrate this new month by making some homemade protein bar bites (so, mini protein bars!) using just a few pretty basic ingredients:
Dates, protein powder, chocolate, and nut butter. And a teeeeny tiny bit of almond milk to bind – all mushed up before being coated in melted dark chocolate, nomnomnom!
I do apologise, by the way, to anyone reading this who doesn’t like chocolate. I am aware of your existence and apologise for the chocolate overload in my feed – and on the site! I once calculated that over 60% of the recipes here on proteinpow.com feature chocolate. I can’t help it! I adore chocolate. And it’s good for us, you know? Good for the heart, good for the soul.
- 2 medool dates, pitted
- 3 tbsp almond butter (around 45g)
- 1 small scoop of protein powder (note, I used a vegan blend but you can use whey too, just bear in mind if you too your grams of protein will be higher and you'll also need to add 1 scoop of ground almonds or more cocoa powder to make your protein bar dough perfect!)
- 2 tbsp milk (or enough to bind you mix - I used 12ml)
- a tbsp cocoa powder (around 7g)
- 4 squares of 90% dark chocolate (with or without sugar), melted
1. Chuck all ingredients in a bowl, except for the melted chocolate.
2. Using your hands, mush them all up until you end up with a protein dough that's a bit like playdough - one you can mold with your hands into 12 little bars - or truffles! You can roll the dough into truffles too.
3. Coat in melted dark chocolate and refriegerate for a couple of hours or until they're solid.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0.7gCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 2.8gProtein: 3g