Protein Chocolate Lava Cake
Protein lava cake: a combination of soft muffin-like cakeyness and gooey chocolate. This is one of those recipes that’s great to share with your protein-loving people, especially with vanilla ice cream on top! It feels decadent and ridiculous yet is actually pretty macro-friendly. It’s also open to size variations. So, let’s say you want a smaller serving? Well, then just bake the batter inside silicone muffin tins to end up with mini lava cakes! Again, topped with vanilla ice cream, this is a sensation. Give it a go! It’s a super quick and easy recipe:
1/2 cup whey protein powder (chocolate whey or our lovely hormone-free all-natural whey + some extra stevia drops for sweetness)
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup ground oats (gluten-free or regular)
1 whole large egg
1/4 cup almond or coconut milk
2-3 tbsp crystallized coconut nectar or plain coconut sugar (I used 19 g)
1. Using a whisker, handheld blender, or food processor, blend all ingredients together until you get a smooth and creamy batter.
2. Pour the mix into two silicone baking pods or regular souffle dishes. Just bear in mind that, if you’re using porcelain ramekins dishes, you’ll have to butter them so the batter doesn’t stick.
3. Bake at 425 F (around 218 C) for around 4-ish minutes. You want the top to be cooked but the center to be gooey, so check on you cakes after 3 minutes and assess accordingly.
4. As soon as they’re ready, carefully remove them from the mold and turn them upside down on a plate.
5. Top with strawberries, cream, ice cream, or just enjoy solo!
Macros per cake
You can make these lava cakes using muffin cases if you want to make smaller cakes or if you just don’t have any porcelain ramekins. The recipe will work just as well, all you need to do is keep a closer eye on the cakes when they’re in the oven to ensure they don’t cook through or over-bake.
To lower carbs further, consider subbing half of the oats for ground almonds?
If you don’t like coconut oil, try subbing it with peanut butter or almond butter.
Pay attention not to overcooking this because if you do it’ll end up, well, like… a mountain more than a volcano, hehe :)
Here’s a video of the whole thing that I just posted on Facebook page!
PS: Check out my friend Sanna’s version of this recipe too! Here’s the link :)