Oreo Protein Cupcakes
This recipe is one of the many exclusive recipes found in the Protein Pow Cookbook. It’s for Oreo Protein Cupcakes! The secret to making the frosting properly oreo-esque is using black onyx cocoa powder. But don’t worry if you don’t have it, you can use regular cocoa powder too. Just know that your frosting will be light instead of dark brown and taste more of chocolate than onyx.
Do note that you can use ANY muffin recipe to make these cupcakes. And play around with your frosting too, e.g. by adding a ‘real’ oreo on top!
Ingredients for the Muffin
1 Banana (Or a cooked sweet potato!)
1 cup Liquid Egg Whites
1/2 cup Pea Protein Powder (can add chocolate flavouring)
1/2 cup Rice Protein Powder (can add chocolate flavouring)
1/4 cup Ground Flaxseed
1 cup Almond Milk
Natural Sweetener (if you’re using unflavored powders especially)
Ingredients for the Frosting
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (Or quark/mascarpone)
1/2 cup Whey Protein Powder (can add chocolate flavouring)
1/4 cup Black Onyx Cocoa Powder
Natural Sweetener (particularly if you’re using whey)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (around 175 C).
2. First, make the muffins by blending all the muffin ingredients using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor.
3. Pour the mix into 8-10 silicone muffin cups (depending on their size)
4. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until, when poked with a knife, your knife comes out clean. Set aside muffins to cool.
5. Meanwhile, make your protein frosting by mixing together all the frosting ingredients together.
6. Stick the frosting in a piping bag with a nozzle.
7. Frost all the muffins to transform them into… cupcakes!
Click here to get more Protein Cupcake recipes!