Pumpkin Spice Protein Latte
There I was, walking down the street, when suddenly BAM! a pumpkin man appeared before me. He looked friendly so I went ahead and approached him. I won’t lie to you and say I wasn’t wary, I kind of was… but as an adult you have to put on a brave front, you know?
When I got closer to him, I noticed that he was holding a Pumpkin Spice Latte, but not any Pumpkin Spice Latte, no, what he was holding was a Pumpkin Spice PROTEIN Latte! The pumpkin man smiled and greeted me with a ‘hello’ before proceeding to tell me that the drink he was holding was for me.
“This Pumpkin Spice Protein Latte is just for you; consider it a gift from the wizards of Pow.”
I rubbed my eyes and looked at the pumpkin again. It didn’t look like it a costume was the thing. The head was ACTUALLY doing the speaking.
Was I dreaming?
I wasn’t sure… but as I looked beyond the pumpkin man, I could see several people walking away from him holding their lattes and marvelling at their drinks. One guy seemed to be hugging his latte! And the girl in front of him looked as incredulous as I did, only her expression was combined with bliss whereas I was still scratching my head in disbelief….
The above story was actually a dream, recounted to me by a dear friend last week. I thought it was hilarious! And very apropos because the morning I heard it was the morning that I brought this Pumpkin Spice Protein Latte to life.
It will blow you away when you try it. It’s absolutely surreal! The stuff of legend indeed. It’s creamy, thick, spicy, and absolutely gorgeous. Its macros too are spectacular and the ingredients? Oh la la! The whole thing really is a dream come true. Check it out:
1 tbsp pumpkin puree
1/4 cup vanilla casein (see Note 1 for vegan subs)
1/2 cup of coffee (I just made a tall Americano – i.e. espresso with boiling water added to it)
3/4 cup almond milk
2 cinnamon sticks (for decoration)
1 pack of quark (250g – see Note 3 for vegan subs)
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp toffee flavdrops (see Note 2 below)
tsp of cinnamon
2 tsps of homemade pumpkin spice (here’s the recipe for that)
1. In a nonstick pot, bring your Americano, milk, pumpkin, spices, coconut sugar, and flavdrops to a simmer. Take it off the heat and leave it to cool until it gets to a drinking temperature (you don’t want it to be boiling).
2. In a bowl, mix together the casein and the quark using a handheld blender, standing mixer, or food processor. You’re going for a creamy icing-like mix here.
3. Divide the coffee mix into two cups and add 1/4 of the casein + quark mix to each cup, mixing it together with a spoon until you get a thick mix. Taste it to ensure it’s sweet enough and it ticks all your boxes in terms of flavor.
4. For the ‘whipped cream’ – or frosting – stick the remaining casein + quark mix into a sandwich bag with the end cut off (+/- a nozzle sticking out at the end) and proceed to pipe it on top of each drink.
5. Top with more cinnamon and the cinnamon sticks and… BAM! Ready to be enjoyed with all the gusto in the universe – and then some.
Macros per latte (out of the two you get from the ingredients above): 200kcals, 28g protein, 16g carbs and 3g fat!
1. If you want to make a vegan version of this latte, I recommend you use a pea + rice protein powder that’s vanilla flavoured and VERY sweet. Also, use a thick oat milk or rice milk to make it +/- arrowroot as a thickener.
2. You don’t HAVE to use the toffee flavdrops but I strongly suggest you add them because they add a gorgeous ‘carameliness’ to the latte (you can find them here if you’re in the US) and well… to whatever else you add them to really. Be warned though: flavdrops are a ridiculous sweetener and you’ll want to add them to any and all sweet things.
3. If you’d like to substitute the quark (a type of virtually fat-free cream cheese) for another dairy-based version, you can use low-fat mascarpone, low-fat ricotta, or another kind of whipped low-fat cream cheese. Obviously your latte’s macros (and flavor) will change depending on what type of cream cheese you use but be inventive, play with the recipe, and I bet you’ll end up with a latte just as good as this one! If you’d like to go the vegan route, use almond “yogurt”!
PS: This recipe can now also be found in the ‘Holiday Pack’ section of the Protein Pow App, available for iOS AND Android!