Fish Tacos with Low-Carb & Gluten-Free Protein Tortillas
Do you ever meal prep? You know, create a bunch of food in advance to eat over the period of three days to a week? If you do, then you’re going to love this recipe! You’re going to love it because it’s a recipe for really easy protein tortillas that you can, for example, make in bulk on a Sunday and take with you to school or work all week. You can pack up a tortilla or two alongside a tupperware of equally-simple-to-make-in-
1/2 cup Liquid egg whites
2 tbsp Psyllium husks (powdered)
1 tbsp Pea protein powder
Seasoning (I used Herbamere, dried parsley, and paprika)
3 fillets white fish
1/4 cup shallots (thinly chopped)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic paste
Seasoning (I used paprika, red chilli, dried parsley, Cholula hot sauce, Herbamere and pepper)
1. First, make your tortillas by blending the egg, psyllium, pea protein pow, and seasoning using either a handheld mixer or a standing blender. Please note that the mix above makes two big tortillas so if you want to make more, duplicate, triplicate, or quintuplicate your amounts.
2. Get a nonstick pan really hot. It’s VERY important that you use a properly nonstick pan because, if your pan has a tendency to wear the nonstick label just for show, your tortillas WILL stick and you’ll end up with a disaster. Add some coconut oil or low-calorie spray to your nonstick pan to make it even more nonstick.
3. Once the pan is sizzling hot, add half of your tortilla mix to the center and, as it cooks, spread the top of it around using a spatula so you end up with a flat tortilla. As soon as the bottom cooks, flip it.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for your second tortilla and that’s it: done.
5. Now, for the fish, all I did was fry up the onion until golden brown on, again, a nonstick pan (with some coconut oil on it for good measure). I then threw in the hake, garlic, and seasoning, let it cook through, and proceeded to dice it with my spatula so I’d end up with what ‘we’ in the culinary world like to refer as… ‘fish chunks.