Welcome to a recipe for protein wraps featuring three ingredients and zero grams of protein powder. I made them this way – without powder – because they didn’t really need it this time. They’re pretty high in protein as they are! Look:
5 fresh egg whites
2 tablespoons psyllium husks (see Note below)
1/8 cup milk
That’s all I used to make the wraps. I just put all those ingredients in a bowl and, using a fork, I whisked them together. Simple, right? Let me give you the full directions:
1. Whisk (or blend) your egg whites, psyllium, and milk. I used dairy-free coconut milk but any will do.
2. Get a nonstick pan out and add some low-calorie spray, coconut oil, or butter to it. Turn the heat on HOT.
3. Once the pan is sizzling hot, pour half of your egg mix on it and spread it around the bottom of the pan with a spoon or spatula. As you do this, turn your heat down to medium (because you don’t want to burn the wraps).
4. When your first wrap looks like it’s cooked through, flip it, and then remove it from the heat, repeating steps 1-3 for the other wrap.
5. You can fill your wraps with pretty much anything you want! Today, I filled mine with some chicken breast, bacon, avocado, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and low-fat red pepper hummus. They were delicious!
Macros per wrap (out of 2):
5g carbs (out of which 4g is fiber so net carbs = 1)
I hope you make these wraps too because there’s absolutely no need to buy pre-made low-carb or ‘protein wraps.’
They’re a ripoff and far inferior to the wraps you can make at home (nutritionally speaking). You also won’t be able to find wraps as low-carb as these or featuring under five ingredients. So make these, OK? And remember that if you want to ‘pimp’ your wraps, you can!
For instance, you can mix some herbs into your batter before panfrying it. You can also blend some sundried tomatoes, olives, dried mushrooms into your batter. You can even blend an entire red pepper into your wraps! Check out these Red Pepper Protein Wraps that I made, as an example. Also check out all of THESE!
Please, when you’re making these, make sure you use these kind of psyllium husks (not the ones that look like this). Right now, the absolute BEST blace to get psyllium husk powder is myprotein and I have a discount code so you can get them for 10% off – it’s POWMP. Go there and get a bag (or five!) of psyllium because psyllium is amazing. It’s one of the most amazing foods out there! It’s FULL of fiber. In fact, it contain pretty much nothing else! Psyllium husk powder is also the secret to making low-carb protein wraps so ehem ehem ehem – get on it!