Dark Chocolate & Hazelnut Protein Cakes
I made these cakes for a dear moustachiod wizard I went to meet in London yesterday. I made them the night before and poured cauldrons of care into getting the recipe just right. I designed the cakes to have a layer of caramely goodness and to be reeeeally dark chocolatey, soft, and perfectly cakey. I also designed them to be GREAT alongside coffee. And they were a huge success! So I wrapped them in tin foil, packed up my stuff yesterday morning, hopped on the train, met the moustachiod wizard, and guess what I realized when I got there? That I’d left the cakes at home. I found them in the fridge when I got home. Quelle disastre :-/ Hashtag: facepalm. Oh well, if you’re reading this moustachiod wizard, know that I ate a couple of these cakes in your honor this morning, that I owe you some cakes, and that I shall very soon deliver them. But in the meantime, here’s the recipe!
2 cooked beets
1 and 1/4 cups liquid egg whites
1/2 cup pea protein powder (see my Note below)
2 tablespoons coconut flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon Myprotein Toffee Flavdrops
4 fat medjool dates
2 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts
1. Using a handheld blender or food processor, mix together all of the above ingredients barring the hazelnuts and medjools.
2. Pour into either muffin cases or a mini bread loaf pan like mine (I use this one and I love it! If you’re in the market for a mini bread pan, I highly recommend it).
4. Once baked, allow the cakes to cool and then slice them horrizontally to fill them with a combo of hazelnuts and medjools.
5. Sprinkle finally with cocoa powder and… KAPOW! Ready.
To make these cakes, I used Myprotein’s unflavored pea protein powder. If you’re in the US or Canada though, I recommend you use Growing Naturals’ chocolate pea protein powder. The stuff is delicious.
1. Generation two of the Protein Pow App is is now OUT! Don’t forget to download the app here.