Dark Chocolate Filled Orange & Coconut Whey Protein Cake
I made these cakes to bring out some (protein) sunshine to the otherwise gray and sun-less days we’ve been having. I made them in a (silicone) mini loaf pan and then stuck some dark chocolate inside each little cake. This was a great idea because the chocolate first melted – and oozed out of the cakes – and then set to create a beautiful dark chocolate center that softened again when dipped into coffee! It was a success through and through. Here’s the recipe:
1 tub quark (you can sub this with cottage cheese)
1 tablespoon apple fiber (or flaxseed)
1/2 cup vanilla whey
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon chestnut flour (or ground-up oats)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon toffee flavdrops or your sweetener of choice
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F (160˚C).
2. Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend all ingredients except chocolate together.
3. Place mixture in a mini loaf pan and bake for 24 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
4. As soon as I got them out of the oven (all 5 of them), I cut the chocolate into 5 rectangular pieces and horizontally stabbed the cakes with the chocolate.
5. I then stuck the cakes in the fridge, as I wanted the chocolate to set before slicing the cakes into smaller slices. Boom, after 30 minutes, the chocolate had hardened and oh la la – the result was these beautiful crumbly cake bites! The combination of the ultra-bitter chocolate with the vanilla, toffee, coconut and orange cake was serious(ly incredible) and, against a cup of coffee or Lady Grey tea? Ah, the whole thing was delicious.
Macros per Serving (out of 5):
10.8g carbos (2.86g sagars)
6.2g fat (3.9g sat)