Sticky Date Protein Pancakes with Salted Caramel Syrup – by Sam A.
Ingredients for pancakes:
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup egg whites
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 medjool dates
1 teaspoon butterscotch essence or stevia
pinch cinnamon (optional)
Ingredients for syrup:
8 medjool dates
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
1 teaspoon butterscotch or vanilla essence
1. For pancakes, put all ingredients in your blender and whizz away! Fry em’ up and stack em’ high.
2. For syrup, soak the dates in hot water for 30 mins. Keep the water aside, and add the ingredients to your blender. Blend and gradually add the soaking date water until you achieve the desired (syrupy) consistency.
3. Pour over your pancake stack and sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top (if you like). You’re welcome!
Macros per Serving (out of 2):
1. That’s the macros for the syrup if you ate it all in two serves, however I had a lot left over. Stored the rest in the fridge.)
2. I know not everyone has butterscotch essence on hand, so it can be substituted with vanilla essence. I happen to have some awesome butterscotch flavoured liquid stevia, so I used that! Oh, and feel sooo free to add a tablespoon of chia seeds to the pancake mixture for extra goodness!
This brilliant light bulb of a recipe idea popped into my head when I was pondering how to combine my love and obsession of anything sticky date flavoured with protein cooking. I’ve also only just recently discovered the chewy deliciousness that are medjool dates (I know, I’m late, sue me.). So with the deadline of the protein pancake competition looming, I got my cogs working and came up with this….you won’t be disappointed!
Food presentation is my downfall here (it never looks as good on my plate as it did in my head) BUT the taste totally makes up for it! Plus, it all looks the same once it’s in your tummy, right?