Protein Turkey Meatballs – by Monica
I used pea protein in this recipe as a substitute for the usual breadcrumbs. It works like magic, it takes out the carbs and even adds more flavour. I really think it was a touch of magic to think of this! The ricotta makes them fluffier and packs even more protein. The recipe reads as follows:
1kg ground turkey breast meat (ofc you can use beef or pork or a mix; the fattier the meat, the juicer the meatballs)
250 g ricotta
75 g grated parmesan
75 g pea protein
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
1. Heat the oven to 230 C. Coat a large baking dish with olive oil using your hands.
2. Mix the meat, ricotta, pea protein, eggs and seasoning in a large bowl with your hands until incorporated.
3. Roll the mix into round meatballs and place them in a prepared baking dish, carefully lining them up snugly in even rows.
4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the meatballs are firm and cooked thru.
5. While the meatballs are roasting make the sauce. Heat some olive oil in a large casserole, gently fry the onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and more oregano and let it gently bubble.
6. When the meatballs are done remove them from the oven and place them one by one in the sauce. Continue to cook for 20 more minutes.
7. Enjoy your protein packed meatballs!