Protein Nanaimo Bars

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  greenc01 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I recently came across this recipe for Nanaimo Bars and they sound delicious in a terrible for you way. I am going to look into my own protein-ized version, but I wanted to include it in the request vault because I would love to see your version!!
    Right now I am struggling with thoughts on recreating the middle layer since it uses 2C of powdered sugar…Im wondering about the texture and how to make it work. Thoughts?
    The bottom and top layer seem pretty easy to sub out better ingredients.

Bottom Layer
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup white sugar
    5 tablespoons cocoa
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg
    1 cup coconut
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

Middle Layer
    3 tablespoons milk
    1/4 cup melted butter
    3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
    2 cups confectioners sugar

Top Layer
    4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
    1 tablespoon butter

1. In the top half of a double boiler, or in a mixing bowl over gently boiling water, combine butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and egg. Mix until smooth, and cook over gently boiling water for one to two minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add graham cracker crumbs, coconut and nuts and mix well. Pack in greased 9-inch square pan and chill until firm.

2. Mix the middle layer ingredients and spread over the bottom layer.

3. For the top layer, melt chocolate, add butter and mix. Spread over the middle layer and refrigerate.

Cut into squares with a knife heated in hot water

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Check out our POWerful ingredients!

All you need to make your own delicious protein bars, protein pancakes, cookies, cakes, pizza crusts, and more!