Sugar-free Banana Protein Pancakes with Chocolate Coffee Sauce – by So
This recipe was submitted by So for our Coffee Pow competition! So is a healthy recipe blogger that regularly incorporated protein powders into recipes (from soups, energy balls, snacks to stews!) Check her out at:
These healthy pancakes make a super start to the day. Rich in protein, yet with some slow-release carbs to sustain you and to top it all, they are sugarfree too! (the sweetness from banana is more than ample).
I have topped these pancakes with a sugarfree coffee chocolate sauce. YUM!
Makes: 6 medium sized pancakes; Serves: 2
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: Approx 2 mins each side per pancake
For the pancakes:
30g rolled oats (glutenfree if required)
25g peanut flour (I use Sukrin brand). This can be substituted for more oats or coconut flour if you do not have peanut flour
50g Greek yoghurt
2 tbsp whey protein powder (sugar-free)
2 large eggs, beaten
¼ tsp baking powder
½ ripe banana
Pinch of salt
Optional: ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Coconut oil to cook with
For the chocolate coffee sauce:
Dark chocolate (I use sugar-free dark chocolate)
½tsp – 3/4tsp coffee (quantity to taste. Decaff if required)
Fresh fruit. I have used raspberries, blueberries and physallis (goldenberry)
1. Place the rolled oats in a food processor and whizz to form an oat flour. Add the peanut flour or coconut flour to the oat flour.
2. Add the Greek yoghurt, protein powder, beaten eggs, baking powder, half a banana, pinch of sale and cinnamon, if using. Whizz to form the pancake batter.
3. Heat a frying pan with a little coconut oil. Plop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook for about 2 mins on a medium heat until the pancake starts forming air bubbles on the upper surface. Using a turner, flip the pancake onto the other side (this now upper side should be golden brown) and cook for a further 2 mins.
4. Repeat to use up all of the batter mix.
5. Keep warm whist you make the chocolate sauce.
6. Make a bain marie: melt the chocolate by placing the chocolate in a heatproof jug over a saucepan of boiling water on a medium heat. Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a microwave proof bowl or jug. Once melted, stir I the coffee grains.
7. Now the fun bit! Assemble the pancakes in a little tower. Pour the chocolate coffee sauce over them & garnish with fresh fruit. Enjoy!