Chocolate Banana Protein Bread (Gluten-Free)
This bread is like a cross between the best Protein Banana Bread you’ve ever had and the moistest most delicious Protein Brownie on earth. It may sound over the top but trust me on this, it’s a sensation! It’s also completely family-friendly, packing as it does only the healthiest most nutritious ingredients; no cane sugar, refined flours or oils, shortenings or butter, bulk ingredients, artificial sweeteners, or flavorings involved here. This is the kind of bread that fans of banana bread and brownies lose their minds for. It sounds ridiculous to describe it in such absolutist terms, I know… but Zeus! It’s a ridiculous loaf of bread. And you know what? I didn’t make it. Clare did.
Clare is a friend of Daniel‘s who, prior to meeting him, had never bought – or cooked with – protein powder before. Recently though, Clare decided to start exercising more and follow a healthier diet in an attempt to lose some weight. So she got a bag of our mix and has been using it was a healthy & gluten-free substitute to regular flour to be able to enjoy her favorite baked foods as regularly as she pleases without derailing from her diet.
Talk about having your cake, while eating it too! The bread is also perfect for the whole family to enjoy as a healthy treat that actually doesn’t TASTE healthy but actually is! It’s really filling too and oy, just amazing. Oh, oh, oh before I forget: the bread freezes REALLY well too. Just make it, let it cool, eat what you like, and freeze the rest if you want! Or cut it into 10 to 12 slices, freeze them all, and just defrost a slice a day to enjoy with your morning or afternoon coffee 😃 Here’s the recipe:
200g – Protein Pow whey flour (aka our all-purpose whey Pow cooking mix!)
3 tablespoons unsweetened GF cocoa powder
4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or honey)
2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)– whisked
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 mashed over ripe bananas
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
100g dark chocolate drops (75g for the bake, and 25g to sprinkle on top before baking)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C and grease or line a loaf tin.
2. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl
3. In a large bowl whisk together the honey/maple syrup, melted coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the mashed bananas and mix to combine
4. Gradually add the flour mix & chocolate drops to the wet ingredients – gently fold in until combined, do not over mix
5. Pour the mixture in to the tin, and use the remaining chocolate drops to sprinkle on top of the loaf and press down. Bake for 40mins, check with a toothpick to see if the bake is cooked – if it comes out clean it’s done. Remove from the oven, leave in the tin for 5mins to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool down.
Macros per slice (out of 10): 200kcals, 22g carbs (out of which 4g is fiber), 10g protein, 9.6g fat.
Note: if you’d like to bring the kcals and carbs down more, just ditch the chocolate buttons! And feel free to substitute the honey or maple syrup with your lower-carb alternative of choice.
PS: When you get your hands on my whey mix to make this bread, remember to use it to make oatmeal too!!!!