Cinnamon Protein & Fiber Breakfast Bars

Before I joined the blogosphere with my protein bar recipes, I noticed that there were two kinds of protein bar recipes online: recipes for baked bars and recipes for gooey bars. One of the most popular examples of the former are Jamie Eason’s cinnamon swirl protein bars. The first time I saw them I thought “ah, they look great!’ but there was an elephant in her recipe that I couldn’t get around: the fact that her bars looked more like cake. And it isn’t only Jamie’s, there are dozens and dozens of protein bars recipes online that come out cakey instead of bar-like (here’s another example). This of course, isn’t all that surprising – they are, after all, baked .

Gooey bars, on the other hand, are different. They aren’t baked. Instead, a mix is pressed together, frozen or refrigerated, and then cut or shaped into bars. Here’s an example. Here’s another example. These, to me, seem more protein bar…ish, yet, still, I felt they needed something else to capture the essence of the kind of protein bars I like.

So I created my own formula for making protein bars and ever since, there’s been a plethora of protein bar recipes online that follow my method of 1) mixing a batter, b) moulding the batter into bars, and 3) and coating the bars in melted chocolate (here’s a video of me making them). It makes me happy that so many people have taken up my technique! Because I think they’re delicious: soft and creamy in the center, with a layer of chocolate, and a violent punch of sweet nommmm to the system.

But today I want to introduce you to another kind of bar: a Protein & Fiber Bar. It’s a gluten-free ‘cereal bar’ and it’s uncoated. It’s baked but it’s not cakey. It’s cereal-ish. But, like I said, gluten-free. It’s a bar comprised of primarily fiber and protein. It’s a bar akin to the wholegrain breakfast bars one sees out there but, well, without any grains.

1/4 cup psyllium husks
1/2 cup Gaspari Myofusion Cinnamon Roll Protein (is this the tastiest protein bar on earth?)
1/4 cup  coconut flour
1/4 cup apple fiber (this one if you’re in the UK and this one if you’re in the US)
1 cup milk (I used carton coconut milk but almond, rice, or hemp milk would be lovely here too)

1. Blended together and baked at 160 C (320 F) in a small (silicone) brownie pan until the mixture has cooked through and your knife comes out clean (around 30-35 minutes)

2. When the bars are done, remove them from the oven and cut them into four bars (or however many pieces you want).

Macros per bar (out of 4):

172.6 kcals
13.5g protein
17.5g carbs (out of which a whopping 11.7g = fiber!!!)
4.3g fat

Like I said above, the bars come out pretty cakey but also really dense in the sense that they seem to be whole-grain yet, well, they’re totally grain-free. I rate them a 5 out of 5 in having delivered a flavor sensation and the macros?

Well, the macros are phenomenal! Super high fiber and 13.5g protein and 5.8g NET carbs!

Note: If you make these, consider adding some chopped nuts or coconut to your mix too. That’ll up the bars’ fiber and protein content and add a flavor twist to the whole thing :-)

Comments for This Entry

• Rosalie

I definitely prefer something not so… cakey in a protein bar–so these look like a great in-between :)
    Do you know what might be a suitable swap for the apple fiber? I don’t really know it’s properties (i.e. if it acts more like coconut flour/oat flour/casein/whey etc.) Thanks!

January 13, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Reply to this comment

• ANNA

Apple fiber is wonderful! Check out the links above because it’s pretty easy to get online. It’s, well, a fiber! So more like oat flour and coconut than protein powder but actually very different from all of them in that it’s apple-ish in flavor but very, well, fibrous! Hehe you kind of have to try it to see what I mean. It’s an awesome ingredients for low-carb and low-gluten cooking :-)

January 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply to this comment

• Korey Washington

how would you adjust for high altitude cooking? I live in Colorado so most of these awesome food ideas get completely crushed by me when i attempt to make them and have no idea how to account for altitude.

January 13, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Reply to this comment

• ANNA

Interesting. I’d say play around with your batters, maybe add some mor egg (in the recipes using egg) so your batter gets more liquid? OR use less drying ingredients, like coconut flour. It depends on the recipe but the variation shouldn’t be TOO huge so I’d say play it by ear until you end up with batters that are pancakey (i.e. thick but still stirrable and pourable). Does this make ANY sense? It’s what I do when I bake when I’m in New Mexico, just concentrate on getting the batters to a good consistency and then keeping an eye on cooking times?

January 14, 2013 at 7:53 am | Reply to this comment

• das lischen

well, the macros are really awesome…but i tried them today (and i used exact the same ingredients – same apple fiber, myofusion etc.), i used cows milk since it was already open.
    unfortunately tastewise they are pretty bland… :/ they would need quite a bit of stevia and maybe some extra cinnamon. of course i tasted it before baking, but after mixing it together the batter was sooo hard to handle, it really was impossible to mix additional stevia into it.
    the texture is awesome, though!
    but more sweetness is reeeeaally neccessary! ;)

January 16, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Reply to this comment

• Jamie

Hey Anna…can you substitute the Gaspari with other protein powders? I’ve got some decent whey that I’m using for my powder kicks…would that be suitable?

January 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Reply to this comment

• Jamie

I have ground almonds, well, almond flour (seems to be the same to me), and I have a tub of PHd PharmaWhey, which is essentially a decent (as far as I’m aware) whey protein powder.

January 20, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Reply to this comment

• Unknown

I made these with a blend of unflavoured whey, pea protein and egg white (I kinda based it on the ingredients of the Gaspari), added tons of cinnamon, a bit of stevia and some ground ginger and they came out really good :) they’re not ‘dessert treats’ or anything, but they make really great filling fiber bars!

February 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Reply to this comment