Protein Mocha Cake

65g chocolate whey
12g 100% cocoa powder
15g brown rice protein
100g unsweetened black beans
100g greek yogurt (or mascarpone)
10g psyllium husks,
40g medjool dates
cinnamon (optional)
a shot or so of espresso
150g egg whites

Makes 6 big slices or 8 smaller ones! (this cake is amazing pre-workout!)

Macros per Cake:

88g protein
74g carb (22g fiber)
9.4g fat

Comments for This Entry

• Anonymous

what is medjools ?? and do you have the specs ??

April 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

oops i forgot the stats, ok added :-P medjools = fat juicy dates mmm :-)

April 22, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Reply to this comment

• Anonymous

no egg whites? what binds it together?

April 23, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

ohhhhhhhhhh daaaaaaaaaarrrrrrn!!!! did i not list egg whites! ohh i didn’t – scheiße!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Reply to this comment

• Ash

LOL ^ you crack me up.

Although not that I’m laughing at your misery. :X

Sooooo I was wondering–you know, if you’re ever bored and out of posting ideas–could you do a more detailed post on protein powders and your reviews of them? (I checked out the protein powder tab, no worries)

I really want to buy a jar of protein powder, but I don’t want to end up with something that is really funky, artificial, or just plain nasty.

I would prefer something vegan, but I’ll probably buy a jar of whey protein too to use more sparingly.
    Which, btw, why do you not use whey protein? I’m just curious since that usually a very popular choice for protein powder users.

Anyyyway, I’ve seen Sunwarrior, Jay Robb, Bio Chem, Pea protein, brown rice protein, etc. I think my head just might explode from all the choices.

I was thinking about buying the brown rice vanilla powder since…well, I can make a lot of your recipes with it LOL. And it was about 12 bucks which wouldn’t make me feel like I was wasting TOO much money if it turns out nasty and I just have to choke it down until it’s used up lol.

Anyways. I think the point of this message is…what protein powders are your favorite and why?

I just don’t know if all protein powders work the same way, you know? Do some come out good in baking but bad in shakes? Are some better for you? Etc. Etc.

I was going to email you this, but I could find your email address. :/

April 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Reply to this comment

• Ash

that looks like an essay in the middle of your comment section.

so sorry. O_O

April 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

You think THAT’s long?

i Ash, no problem! I really love long comments!! Seriously, thank you :-) So, about powders. You said “I really want to buy a jar of protein powder, but I don’t want to end up with something that is really funky, artificial, or just plain nasty” oh yeah!! Same here, I HATE when that happens!!! Actually just a few weeks ago I bought a massive tub of myofusion milk chocolate which I totally ended up hating straight off the bat. Thankfully, my husband loves it! It boils down to personal taste really but yeah…. doing research is good and free samples are better but both can still get you to where you end up with a big tub of ooops haha. Either wait, lemme give you my two cents on powders. I do use whey protein, I started using it less because I ran out of my favorite tub of vanilla whey until a few days ago when I caved in and got some (mmm). Actually I bought some unflavored stuff wanting to do away with sweeteners and all added ingredients but wasn’t too convinced with the whole flavor so I bought the same old vanilla again while I get to know the unflavored/unsweetened whey that I bought last month a bit better. I have heard wonders about Sunwarrior and if it was available here in the UK I would definitely get some!! I used to get Biochem in the US, their chocolate is really nice in brownies and all types of chocolate pudding type stuff but I find vanilla whey to be more versatile because:

April 28, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

1. you can add 100% cocoa to it to get a really rich chocolate, 2. you can add cinnamon, 3. you can add spices or well, whatever really! I think Biochem’s vanilla is really nice and theirs is a small-ish tub too so you could try? I once had jay robbs’ egg white protein, yuck, personally not a fan, I tried it plain in a shake and yuck yuck yuck :-{ hehe. About brown rice etc, I buy my Brown rice from a UK protein company that sources it plain, nothing added ( so i’ve never tried flavored brown rice protein and stuff… Same goes for pea protein, it’s also plain with nothing added. I love pea and brown rice protein in sauces and breads and all because they’re mild and kind of savory, thats why i never make shakes with them. The brown rice protein COULD be made into a shake and some people do but i find the texture to be kind of gritty? and whey protein is usually a creamier frothier kind of smoothy, especially when blended with a banana ;-) So yeah i love baking with rice protein and pea protein because they act more like flours whereas if you bake with whey (which is why i don’t too much), the end result is always kind of chewy and dry….you can try making the 1 minute cake to see what I mean: In a cup, mix 2 tbsp of whey protein, add one egg white, microwave it for a minute. You end up with a kind of muffin thing and you’ll see what I mean by the texture, its just kind of rubbery and well, odd. So yeah it doesn’t act too much like flour whereas rice protein does more (even though it can end up REALLY dense so one has to be careful with proportioning other ingredients etc).

April 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

Now, are some better for you? Well, whey protein has been hailed for its benefits for ages in terms of it providing immune system support and being very well-digested by the body and so on. Whey protein is usually not sees as unhealthy unless its packed full of who knows what else in it (always read ingredient labels and so on). I personally avoid whey proteins with Aspartame and tend to go with sucralose as sweetener but really, I still do prefer unsweetened whey, I just gotta kick my addiction for this vanilla whey i have going hehehe. Now whey protein you can get as: 1. whey protein isolate, 2. whey protein concentrate, 3. a blend of both. Isolate is digested very quickly and is very low in lactose whereas concentrate is not lactose-free and it’s digested more slowly. The texture is very different, isolate is a bit hmmmm less creamy? concentrate is very creamy and tastes like dried milk, its very chalky. Anyways, most wheys have a blend of the two and this allows for a nice shake. I personally have recetly bought just isolate, for the dairy factor and for the fact that it’s a purer type of whey but truth is: whatever, blends are also cool and often you can really tell the diff between an isolate and a blend so i wouldn’t worry tooooo much. Brown rice protein and pea protein are, of course, considered by many people to be a lot more natural (and vegetarian/vegan) in that they’re just a distilled version of brown rice/pea protein BUT their amino acid profile is less complete than whey protein. Do we need to worry about this too much? naaaah…well, I do try to pair my brown rice with either pea protein or actual beans because that gives it a more complete amino acid profile but really i think this is not hugely important given that we get our protein and consequently our amino acids from all types of sources throughout the day through food and so on. So yeah hehe this is like a essay of my own and its kind of a ramble bla bla bla but these are basically my views on it. If you can find somewhere with samples of the stuff, go for it before you buy the real deal AND, well, I don’t know where you’re at BUT I’m a big fan of Tara’s whey and I could actually say that hers is one of the most top notch and ‘natural’ wheys and really tasty too so I’d try that and you can defo get samples (i.e. small sachets) of the stuff on Whole Foods. Anyways keep the questions coming if you have more :-)

April 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

OK I just re-read this and it sounds confusing maybe so basic point: I’d try Sunwarrior’s (I hear great things about it as a really nice and healthy kind of powder and a blend of really nice organic sources PLUS you mentioned you’d like something vegan and here ya go! Now I cant vouch for it 100% since I’ve never had it but from what I’ve read about it, I’m kind of sold on the idea that it should be delicious too (I’d get vanilla for the same reasons listed above – namely that if you want chocolate, you can just add 100% cocoa so in a way you have both chocolate and vanilla hehehe). For whey, I’d get a tub of either Tara’s whey or Biochem’s vanilla (because i love vanilla). You can keep it for a while and cook with it and it’ll be fun :-) OK, done!!! :-)

April 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Reply to this comment

• (what runs) Lori

This looks SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! The consistency looks wonderful! (much better than most of my protein creations)

April 29, 2011 at 2:56 am | Reply to this comment