Protein Tortilla Chips

In lieu of the fact that the Suberbowl is tonight (even though it’s not on till extremely late here in the UK), today is a good day for snack-type food! And what more versatile in the world of snacks than tortilla chips, right? Especially high-protein tortilla chips? ;-) The beauty of making your own tortilla chips is that you can condiment them however you like: make them spicy, fajita-flavored, ‘pizza-flavored’, ‘cheesy’, etc, etc, etc. These here on the left are plain, waiting to be transformed into Nachos when the beef, black beans and salsa make their appearance tonight. What’s in them?

166g liquid egg whites
66g chickpea flour
10g psyllium husks
3g wheat bran
8g golden linseeds
2g hemp seeds

C’est tout!

1. Well, first you mix all of the above.

2. Then, on a non-stick pan, you spread the mixture as thiiiiinly as you possibly can (use a spoon). you then: flip it, plate it, NEXT!, spread mixture thinly, flip it, plate it, NEXT!, and so on (basically – it’s like making crepes).

3. When they’re all done, you slice them into triangles and bake them in the over under high heat (I added some sea salt before baking for the crunch and saltiness of tortilla chips; one can also spray with olive oil or, really, with whatever floats one’s bo’t).

4. Take them out when they look ready and bam – finito :-)

Macros per Serving (out of 1)

33.4g protein
48.7g carbos (19.9g fiber)
10.4g fat

Makes approximately 35 chips

Comments for This Entry

• Anonymous

any ideas what could I use instead of chickpea flour? I really want to try those! D.

February 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

I’ll try out making them with just wheatbran and psyllium and let you know :-)

February 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

…granted – cornmeal flour doesn’t have all the ‘perks’ of chickpea flour BUT the end product will taste a lot more like corn tortillas chips – just experiment with whatever you have handy, season it, cook it, flip it, bake it :-)

February 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Reply to this comment

• Anonymous

I’ll try it today with something :-) and I’ll let you know how it went D.

February 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Reply to this comment

• april

OH YUM!! This is pretty genius. I wonder if it’d work with just a regular crepe recipe??

February 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

Hi April! try it and let me know! I think it’d work BUT the texture may suffer (this is why I threw in chickpea flour so the mix is a bit heavier). I’m gonna keep playing around with the recipe though. You know Trader Joe’s soy/flaxseed tortilla chips?(they use”yellow corn, soy grits, corn or sunflower oil, brown flax, sea salt, and a trace of lime”)? Well, that’s kind of what I was going after here – making a similar kind of tortilla chip but one that is higher in protein and fiber :)

February 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Reply to this comment

• christina

I need to find some chickpea flour at whole foods so i can make these…i miss chips And i’ve tried the soy/flax tortilla chips, they’re REALLY good!

February 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply to this comment

• anna

I like chickpea flour but like I said, you can play around with other flours I’m sure (try soy if you have any lying around). Making your own chips is SO easy and yummy! Yeah soy/flax tortilla chips rock. I think next time I make mine, I’m gong to add a lot more spice to the ‘dough’ and some lime so they can resemble the ones from trader joe’s bit more :)

February 9, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Reply to this comment

• Joth

Wow this sounds amazing i cant wait to try it out.

this blog is brilliant so many good ideas. Now i have no excuse not to eat high protein all the time even when snacking

April 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Reply to this comment

• Steve

Heres an addition to complete the chips-n-dip theme:
    Take 1 cup of your fav. cottage cheese (i prefer nonfat), throw it in a blender with some green onions, Italian seasoning and black pepper. Instant Ranch Dip. When I read this, I figured it wasn’t going to work. But I kidd you not, tastes EXACTLY like ranch dip.

September 13, 2011 at 3:45 am | Reply to this comment

• Bob Macc

Just made a variation on these tonight using what I had laying about… Will write it here so I don’t forget for next time :)

180g egg whites
    50g buckwheat flour
    10g oat flour
    10g quinoa
    10g pea protein
    4g nutritional yeast
    8g milled flaxseed

Served with 400g of extra lean beef cooked with spices, 100g melted cheese, home made low fat/low carb sour cream, home made salsa and a whole jar of jalapenos. Boom!

January 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Reply to this comment