High Protein Pastry & Protein Veggie Pie
I didn’t think high protein pastry could be done so I’m proud it ‘kind of’ did; even if it turned out kind not very soft, it was delicious!
60g chickpea flour
30g brown rice protein powder
10g psyllium husks
1 whole egg
1. The egg was mixed into the rest of the ingredients, kneaded in and made into a ball which was then wrapped in clingfilm.
2. Stick in the fridge for 30 minutes. Then, it was rolled (I should have flattened it more, I realize – it was too thick) and put in a ramekin.
3. It baked a bit in the oven while I made the filling.
40g chopped red onion
2 cloves of garlic
100g already cooked spinach
30g pea protein
20g nutritional yeast
1. Red onion and garlic were fried on a nonstick with tons of soy sauce added once they began to seriously sizzle.
2. Then, in went 250g mushrooms and 100g of already-cooked spinach. When all was done, I mixed in 30g of pea protein and 20g of nutritional yeast into the mushroom/onion mix, ate half of it because it was insanely good and then stuffed the rest onto the pastry that was in the oven.
3. After it was all in, I topped it with another piece of pastry (which I should have cut into a circle so it looked more pie-ish) and baked it. C’est tout.
Macros per Serving (out of 1):
71g of protein
67g of carbs, (25.2g fiber)
9.9g of fat
Not bad for a first time :-) I’m happy because it shows that making a high protein/high fiber pastry IS possible. I’m going to keep practicing with the pastry though, so that next time, it turns out softer and bit more malleable :-)